Saturday, January 7, 2012

Birthday Parties

We attended a birthday party today for our friends the Lezon triplets. It was a fun party and the girls had a blast. While we were singing happy birthday and got to the "dear ......, happy birthday to you", it got me thinking about the issues that come up with birthday parties for multiples. Even though the girls birthday is 6 months away, I have started thinking about it.

One of the first issue is sharing a party and finding a theme. For the past three, I could come up with the theme and they were fine with it. Now, they are getting their own personalities and may want different things. That means two themes in one party resulting in a mixed cake or two cakes, figuring out invitations, and decorations.

Singing "Happy Birthday" is another issue. You either sing happy birthday twice (or more depending on the number of kids) which may be awkward or singing all their names in one song. Usually it gets to "dear....." and there is a small pause while everyone tries to decide who goes first. Then the parent ends up directing people on how to sing. I usually announce ahead of time whose name is first and feel like a dork.

I know some of these issues aren't limited to multiples. My sister's and my birthday are six days apart so we shared many parties together. My mom was very creative and planned games that would fit for both our age groups.

Right now, we may be having a Hello Kitty/Strawberry Shortcake Birthday, but we still have a few months for them to change their minds.....







No comments: