Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Weathering the Storm

Yesterday, some severe storms blew into the Dallas/Fort Worth area. It was a school day for the girls and a work day for me, so we were all at the church. Being a weather person, I am always checking the weather and have nine weather related apps on my phone with three of them for Oklahoma stations (yes, I am a little obsessed). Anyway, I was keeping an eye on the sky but went to lunch with some people. I looked at my watch and told them we needed to head back to the church for me to pick the girls up from school. When we got back to the church, we were told that the sirens were going to go off soon and the school kids were taking shelter.

Our pastor, Dennis, had the TV on with the weather so I watched for a few minutes and then decided to get the girls. I picked them up and brought them back to Dennis' office. Two other moms decided to stick around there too with their kids. So, the kids spent the time eating candy and having fun. I was very thankful to be around others and my church family. They are a great group of people to work with and very sweet with my little monkeys.
5 kids in Dennis' office plus 3 mommies
So, while we were in here doing this.
Can you see the broken windows on the cars?
This was happening outside. Hail ranging from quarters to baseballs was falling out of the sky busting out windows and denting cars.

At one point, we moved down to the school part of the building just so that everyone was in one place. Once the storm had passed, we stuck around the church because Wes said a second wave was coming. He was at his office with a huge warehouse where they put all the employees' cars. Thankfully, his car was saved!

While waiting for the second storm to slow down, we ran into Dennis again in the church. He was so sweet, he gave each girl a kiss and said he loved them. For some reason, that calmed me down a little.

Who needs a back window?
When we got outside, this was the state of the van. My seat was covered in glass but the girls seat was ok. The UPS lady that was "hiding out" with us had the idea of putting a trash bag over the seats. I was so glad that I grabbed one too. It helped my booty not get shredded. I did get a couple of glass splinters.

Front Window
 Wes left work early to come help us with the van. Both of our nerves were shot. I was so revved up all night.
The leave literally beaten out of the tree
Wes covering the back window with a trash bag
 Apparently, there were about 14 tornadoes that touched down ranging from EF2 to EF3. From what I have heard so far, there haven't been any fatalities and just some injuries. Now, we just need to get our van fixed.

No comments: