Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Camping for July 4th

Wes has wanted to go camping for quite some time. I'm not a camper. My parents took me on many camping trips when I was a kid and I learned that I really liked electricity and toilets that flush with real water. Anyway, Wes and I took the girls to the lake this past weekend and I had an idea. Wes had July 4th off work so why not camp in the backyard. When I told my mom, she said we were like the Backyardigans. We told the girls about it Sunday and they asked every day when we were going camping.

Yesterday, Wes pitched the tent during his lunch. The girls were excited to help him. After lunch, they took a nap and Wes went back to work. After nap, we packed some friends (what we call our lovies) and a night gown and went out the back door. I had planned for Wes to grill out last night and today. He starts the grill to find out that the whole thing is eroded. Fortunately, we were just having hot dogs so we cooked them inside. After dinner, we went to get a little charcoal grill to use for the next couple of days.
The tent in the backyard

Practicing sleeping on our Hello Kitty sleeping bags

Eating our hot dogs

Two girls and a tent
After the trip to the store to get the grill, we played outside and in the tent for awhile until we could go see fireworks. Around 9:00, way past the girls bed time, we headed to our favorite parking lot to watch fireworks.

Can't wait for the fireworks to start
After the fireworks, we headed back home to camp some more. I was surprise that the girls slept all night in the tent and loved every minute of it. Of course, I didn't sleep so well and heard every car door and speeding car that passed. Both girls woke up so happy.

This morning, we woke up with the sun around 6:30. Today's activity was to go to the Coppell parade. Turns out some of the people from our Sunday school class were there too, so it was tons of fun. Good thing for Gracie, because every time we go anywhere she ask who we are going to see there. My little social butterfly.
Waiting for the parade and eating McDonalds

All the kiddos waiting for the parade and candy!
Tonight, our menu is steaks, grilled pineapple and banana boats (at least that's what we called them when I was a kid). What a great holiday! I kept thinking that today was Saturday because Wes was home. Hopefully it will make the week go by fast.


No comments: