Thursday, January 28, 2016

Learning a New Way

From the start, we noticed the girls learn differently. Grace has struggled in school for a while. She loves the social aspect of school but learning has been difficult. During kindergarten until this semester, she worked with the most fabulous literacy teacher ever but something still wasn't clicking. In October, her teachers talked to us about testing her for dyslexia. Grace is too smart to struggle in school.

We went through meetings with the teachers and the school started the testing. The testing confirmed what we already knew, that Grace is a smarty and a hard worker. Her reading comprehension was phenomenal. She scored better that much of the population. Because she still struggled to read, their findings were that she had dyslexia.

Grace is the third generation on my dad's side to have it. It's been a learning difference that I have known about all my life but never fully understood. The thing with dyslexia is that it's something in the brain that can only be described you really can't get behind someone's eyes and see what they see or know how their brain works.

When we realized that it was a possibility that Grace had dyslexia, I was worried. Because of my family, I knew dyslexics can be very successful. However, I didn't know how she would take it or what it would mean for her future. Fortunately, I had my mom, sister and the teachers to talk me down. My mom and sister assured me she would be fine. The teachers assured me that they would do everything possible to help her and that she would do great.

When we finally told Grace, she asked a couple of questions and began to process. Her first question was if she was contagious. She was relieved that she isn't. Over the next couple of weeks, she asked more questions to understand better. Grace is a fighter. She does what she puts her mind to. I don't know why I worried. My little girl would overcome this just like she has everything else in her life. Also, I'm proud of Lizzie. She is so supportive of her sister.

Once I started talking to others about her dyslexia, so many people told me they have it or know someone that does. From Wes and my research, 5% of the population has it and as many as 20% have symptoms.That is a huge chunk of the population, many of which can go undiagnosed or untreated.

When school started this month, Grace started working with her therapist. She is working hard for her and comes home everyday and wants to do her homework. She is determined to overcome this and manage her dyslexia.





No comments: