Thursday, December 11, 2008

Six Months

Today is the girls six months birthday. They were born six months ago and are 1/2 a year old. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago. They have come a long way since the first time I saw them in the NICU. Even then, we knew that they weren't identical. I thought they looked nothing alike. It was fun seeing them for the first time. It was surreal to know that what I was looking at was in my belly only a few hours before.

The only thing that we weren't ready for was the NICU time. We spent four nights in the hospital to be close to the girls. We were there for almost every feeding. To get a change of scenery, Wes would take me in the wheel chair and take me on tours of the hospital. He wheeled me all over that place. We would go visit the night nurses in antepartum that treated me.

After I was discharged, I would go up in the morning right before lunch and then come home. Wes would get home from work at 3:00 (after he would go in at 6:00am) so we could go back up for the 5:00 and 8:00 feeding. I would pump in between in the "pump room" at the hospital. That was not fun either because I always worried that someone would walk in on me.

It was hard going to the hospital every day and seeing other mommies and daddies take their babies home while we had to leave ours there. We knew it was the best for the girls, but I would cry and pray every night that soon I would take them home. It was a very rough time for us. Those little girls kept us worried too. They were hooked up to monitors that would go off when the girls would forget to breathe. It was so scary. We spent one evening there just watching Gracie's monitor go off every couple of minutes. Wes refused to leave. He had blood shot eyes and would just watch. I finally told him I couldn't take it anymore and was hurting from my c-section and we went home. We did learn a lot about caring for the girls from the nurses. We knew what to look for as issues and how to deal with them.

Anyway, the best thing is that the girls are home and growing big. Every day is exciting and exhausting. Hopefully, tonight they will let us sleep and not wake up. They are still not feeling well from the ear infections, but are better.

No comments: