Sunday, November 15, 2009

Big Scare

Last Thursday, I got a call from Wes at work telling me to come to the doctor's quick. He was there to get the girls their H1N1 shot. He then calls back and says to meet him at Children's and that they were taking Lizzie, Gracie and him. All I got from him on the phone was that Gracie was having a seizure. I was unclear if the seizure came after the shot.

I told some people that I was leaving and rushed to the hospital. I beat them there by about 20 minutes. So, I had to wait. Because both girls were upset, I couldn't get the real story from Wes until they got to the hospital.

When they finally got there, I found out that Wes was checking the girls in at the waiting room when Gracie fell over. He then took the girls back and Gracie started having the seizure. It lasted for 8 minutes. The doctor called 911 (the second 911 call that day) and sent everyone to the hospital. Also, in the office were two other people from our church who called to check on us while we were in the hospital.

They did a few diagnostic tests and decided she had a febrile seizure which is caused by a rise in body temperature. Gracie went from about 99 degrees to 103 in about half an hour. It was a nightmare there. Gracie was so upset that she screamed for about an hour. So, we were trying to calm her down and keep Lizzie entertained. They wanted to get fluids in her but couldn't an IV in. She was drinking apple juice and Pedialyte so they were happy. Dr. Jim called to check on her and talk to me to let me know what was going on.

They finally let us go around 6:30. It turns out that she had some virus that triggered a high fast acting fever. She is still feeling yucky but better each day. It was very scary for us.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

How absolutely terrifying! I'm so sorry, but I'm so glad it was as a result of a virus and nothing more.